Wednesday 3 November 2010

Evaluation of my cosmetics advert

Who is your target audience and how would your advert appeal to that audience?
My target audience is women aged between 20-30. My product targets strong, independent working women, with aspirations to go far within their careers and businesses and to become successful. It also greatly targets women who aspire to be like this. The target audience for my advert have strong values and believe in themselves. My advert appeals to this audience by showing a young woman whose model-like position and posture and grace connote high personal belief and success. This is aided by the camera-flash effect in the background that suggests paparazzi, the red-carpet and ultimately fame.
My advert uses these connotations to position the audience to view the advert from an aspirational perspective, as it makes them believe that the perfume would help them to become as confident as the woman is presented on the advert. Also, by the way that the model is looking downwards towards where the perfume bottle is placed on the advert, it further suggests that the product is the reason for her success and happiness. The audience might feel this and consider that buying the product would make them feel personally stronger, and thus help them to become a successful member of the society and possibly even famous.
My advert also positions the audience to view the advert from a female perspective, as it supports the idea of women desiring to be and feel beautiful in the hope of finding happiness. My advert does this by presenting a beautiful girl, who clearly appears to be happy as she is smiling and has a very relaxed and comfortable pose. In this way, the female audience may idolise the woman in the advert.
My advert might be shown in magazines such as vogue in order to appeal to the target audience, as this is a highly classed magazine associated with A-list celebrities and the latest fashion. Other magazines of the same genre include Elle and Cosmopolitan.
How did the technologies help in the process of constructing the advert, and how comfortable are you using the technologies?
To capture the image for my advert, I used a Nikon D5000 digital SLR camera. I used this for the quality of the photos it can take. I’m comfortable using this camera because I am familiar with how it works and how to produce the best quality images from it. I am also pleased with the image I achieved with the camera, as it was clear and well focused, which was useful when creating my advert as it made selecting and changing colours much easier.
For this, I used Adobe Photoshop and Corel Paintshop Pro – both editing software. To be able to use these programmes was very useful when creating my advert. I used them both to edit every part of my advert successfully and creatively, with confidence from past experiences with the programmes.  The tools that i used on these programmes were the selection tools to cut out the background of the image, the colour changer to change the background to one solid colour, the light effects to produce lights on the background suggesting camera flashes, and the clone tool. 
I also found the website Dafont.com helpful when adding text to my advert as it was quick and simple to use, and it offered a great variety of different fonts to choose from. This helped my choose a font suitable to my product.

How does your advert represent particular social groups?
My advert represents the female social group, as it is a feminine design and presents a woman as the main subject. It shows how the female’s place in society has developed into a respectable member of society, and how women feel happy and content within themselves. I think my advert represents the target age group of 20-30 year old women as it has a level of sophistication that represents these women, but can also target younger ages due to the age of the model and the purple coloured background that gives the advert a younger feel. This can represent how the audience of 20-30 year olds want to feel; their desire to stay and feel young, and to remain fashionable amongst younger crowds. As well as this, I believe the advert suggests female’s aspirations to be confident and outstanding in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment